As the Ceremonial Home of all British Columbians, Government House continues the long-standing tradition of honouring the contributions of British Columbians at this beautiful historic site.
Government House grounds were originally designed in 1911 by G.K. Maclean, a landscape architect from Vancouver. After the fire of 1957 Robert Savery, a British-born and educated landscaper, updated the design of the Government House Gardens. The new design was greatly influenced by the style of traditional English gardens.
Tours of the Government House Gardens concentrate on the formal ornamental gardens, including areas not normally open to the public. Experienced guides, who are members of the Friends of the Government House Gardens Society, conduct these adult-oriented tours.